What is a Mother?
“A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.”
– Cardinal Meymillod
When I was a young, around 12 or 13, my answer to this question was “Mother means a woman who has a child or children.” It’s simply the female parent :D. Alas! I was so naive at that time. Although it is true somehow after growing up, I realized that there is more to it than that. Now that I am a mother, I can partly relate how my mother felt when she had me and took care of me. If I will answer that question today, I am proud to say that being a mother is the greatest and the most rewarding job there is. Moreover, she is someone who will willingly sacrifice her everything for the sake of her child’s happiness and well being. Her time, needs and wants in exchange for her child’s time, needs and wants. And a mother is someone who will be happy just by looking at your smile. This is not just it, there are a lot more.
You might be asking some questions like “What are the duties of a mother?” or “What are the qualities of a mother?”
A Mother is . . .
- Someone who won’t sleep even though she is tired just to make sure that you can sleep soundly at night.
- Someone who (even when she didn’t get much sleep) wakes up early in the morning just to make your breakfast.
- Someone who keeps cleaning every mess you make.
- Someone who will protect you no matter what harm comes your way to the extent that she won’t even allow a mosquito to bite you.
- Someone who will give her life savings just to satisfy your whimsical requests.
- Someone who doesn’t care about her appearance as long as you can wear up-to-date clothes.
- Someone who will always choose to believe and side with you even if the whole world is against you.
- Someone who will support every decision you make.
- Someone who will feel the greatest joy every time you succeed.
- Someone who will get angry at you but immediately feels the pain and sorry for what she did.
- Someone who you considering annoying but still continues to annoy you because she knows what is best for you.
These are only a part of what a mother truly is. As a daughter and a son, I know that you know what your mother really means to you. I feel really bad when I see a child who curses and shouts at his/her mother (parents). There are also incidents where some daughter and son tossed out their old aged mother outside, not allowing her to enter her own house, just because she doesn’t give them money. To be honest, I am not a good daughter either. I did a lot of mistakes but my mother is still here and is continuously helping me the best that she can. And I am really thankful for that.
So let us all remember that no matter what our mother does or no matter what she does, we need to respect her the way she deserves. We must not forget all the sacrifices and love she gave us.